22km from the land of the exotic art form of theyyam-the northern district of Kannur is the small town of Thalassery. In this town stands an imposing historical monument the Thalassery Fort.
The East India Company which had established its settlement on the Malabar Coast in 1683 built the monument as a testimonial of their colonial imperialism in 1703. The fort was once the nucleus of Thalassery's development.
The imposing square fort has massive walls, huge, intricately carved doors and secret tunnels to the sea all in all, the perfect setting for you to get an authentic taste of some local history and heritage! Thalassery fort which was once the nucleus of Thalassery's development. It is now a historical monument.
The British arrived in Thalassery in 1683 and errected a goods shed there. They shifted their commercial capital to Thalassery from Kozhikode, following obstruction from the Dutch.
In 1700, the British built the Thalassery Fort on a small hill called Tiruvellapadkunnu and in 1708, it was strengthened by increasing its height and with bastions. The fort is a square structure built of laterite and is distinguished by its massive ventilated walls and strong flanking bastions. It was here that Haider's captain was imprisoned.The famous St.John's Anglican church is behind this fort.
A massive triangular laterite fort, replete with a moat and flanking bastions, the St. Angelo's Fort also called Kannur Fort was constructed by the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francesco de Almeida in 1505.
The Tipu's Fort, also known as Palakkad Fort, stands in the heart of Palakkad town. Palakkad is a small town on the lower edges of the Sahyadri ranges of the Western Ghats, with patches of dense forests and crisscrossed with rivers.