Appam - Rice Pancakes with Coconut Milk
A Christian dish.
Traditionally toddy was used to make appam.They are also called vellappam (white appam) and palappam (milk appam) denoting its colour and the use of coconut milk,respectively.
- You will need an appachatti to prepare the appam.
- 1 1/4 cups rice
- A pinch of dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp+1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- A pinch of cumin powder
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
Method of Preparation
- Wash rice and soak in water for 3 hours.
- Mix yeast with 1/2 tsp sugar and 2 tbsp lukewarm water,and set aside to ferment for an hour.
- Drain soaked rice and grind with cooked rice,cumin and yeast to a very fine paste with 3/4 cup water.Add another 2 tbsp water if required.
- Pour in coconut milk,mix gently and se aside for a further 8 hours.
- Add salt and 1/2 tsp sugar just before cooking appam.(The quantity of sugar can be increased at this stage if you want the appam to taste sweet.)
- Coat an appachatti with oil and heat it.Pour in a ladle of batter.Tilt and rotate the appachatti so that the batter spreads all round.Cover and cook over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Serve with chicken,mutton or vegetable stew;prawn or fish moily;sweetened milk or coconut milk.
- How to laminate Photos at home
- diy bare bulb beauty dish
- how to make a hood for your lens
- rule of thirds in photography
- Adding tattoo to a photograph in photoshop
- How to capture motion blur in photography
- DIY Foldable Softbox
- Portrait Photography Tips - Pose them right
- Landscape Photography tips and techniques
- Seven secrets for stunning macro shots
Exif's, Lighting diagrams, and more.
Write for School of Digital Photography
If you would like to share your ideas and opinions to our viewers, do write to us at email@example.com with the subject line stating Photography Article. We are looking for tips on every aspects of photography aimed for the beginner, intermediate and advanced digital photographers