Ettangadi – Dry Roasted Vegetables in Jaggery Syrup
Ingredients of Ettangadi :
This sweet dish is specially made for the Thiruvathira festival.
The literal translation of ettangadi is ‘eight markets’. Presumably, this strange name came from the fact that some of the ingredients are purchased from the market and not grown at home!
- 100 gms elephant foot yam (zimikand)
- 100 gms Malabar carmint (koorka)
- 100 gms colocasia (arbi)
- 100 gms yam (chupri aloo)
- 100 gms unripe plantain
- 100 gms cherukizhangu (chhota rathalu)
- 3 tbsp red cowpeas (lobia)
- 3 tbsp horsegram (kulthi ki dana)
- 1 ripe plantain
- 1 tender coconut
- Syrup made from 1 tsp grated jaggery
Method of Preparation of Ettangadi
- Clean, peel and dry roast all vegetables over red-hot coals. Cut them into 1-cm pieces.
- Dry roast cowpeas and horsegram individually over low heat till they are cooked
- Peel ripe plantain and cut into 1-cm pieces.
- Scoop out the flesh of tender coconut and cut it into 1-cm pieces.
- Place jaggery syrup in a pan over moderate heat. Add all ingredients. Mix well and remove from heat.
Note: Cherukizhangu is a small yam that is about 9cm in length. Its thin skin has a few spikes that are not sharp.
Let us know what you think! Please leave your comments and let us know your thoughtscomments powered by Disqus
- How to laminate Photos at home
- diy bare bulb beauty dish
- how to make a hood for your lens
- rule of thirds in photography
- Adding tattoo to a photograph in photoshop
- How to capture motion blur in photography
- DIY Foldable Softbox
- Portrait Photography Tips - Pose them right
- Landscape Photography tips and techniques
- Seven secrets for stunning macro shots
Exif's, Lighting diagrams, and more.
Write for School of Digital Photography
If you would like to share your ideas and opinions to our viewers, do write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line stating Photography Article. We are looking for tips on every aspects of photography aimed for the beginner, intermediate and advanced digital photographers