Kadala Kari - Whole Bengal Gram Curry
Ingredients of Kadala Kari :
- 1 1/2 cups whole Bengal gram (kala chana)
- 2tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 medium-sized onions,chopped
- 2 green chilles,chopped
- 3-cm piece ginger,choppedt
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 cloves,powdered
- 1/2 tsp powdered cinnamon
- 2 tsp water
Ground to a fine paste:
- 1/2 medium-sized,fresh coconut,grated 3/4 cup water
Method of Preparation of Kadala Kari
- Wash gram and soak overnight in water.Drain,rinse and place in a pressure cooker with 3/4 cup water,and cook under pressure for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and sprinkle in mustard seeds.When they start sputtering,add onions and fry till translucent.
- Mix in green chilles,ginger and curry leaves,and fry for 2 minutes,stirring occasionally.
- Stir in spice paste and fry for a minute longer.
- Add salt ,1/3 cup water and dal with its gravy.Raise heat and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add coconut paste and cook for 2 minutes,stirring constantly.
- This cuury is traditionally served with puttu and an accompaniment of pappadum.
- Variations:Fry small pieces of coconut along with the onions and use instead of coconut paste.
- Pachakari Chertha Kadala Kari (Whole Bengal Gram Curry with Vegetables): Reduce Bengal Gram to 1/2 cup and pressure-cook for 30 minutes.Add 100 grams each of elephant foot yam (zimikand) and unripe plantain,cut into 3-cm pieces.Pressure-cook for 5 minutes more and continue as given.
Let us know what you think! Please leave your comments and let us know your thoughtscomments powered by Disqus
- How to laminate Photos at home
- diy bare bulb beauty dish
- how to make a hood for your lens
- rule of thirds in photography
- Adding tattoo to a photograph in photoshop
- How to capture motion blur in photography
- DIY Foldable Softbox
- Portrait Photography Tips - Pose them right
- Landscape Photography tips and techniques
- Seven secrets for stunning macro shots
Exif's, Lighting diagrams, and more.
Write for School of Digital Photography
If you would like to share your ideas and opinions to our viewers, do write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line stating Photography Article. We are looking for tips on every aspects of photography aimed for the beginner, intermediate and advanced digital photographers