Kumbalanga Olan - Ashgourd Curry with Cowpeas and Coconut Milk
Ingredients of Kumbalanga Olan :
This olan is one of the eight dishes served at feasts.
- ½ cup red cowpeas (lobia)
- 200 gms ashgourd (petha)
- 6 green chillies, slit
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 + 1 stalks curry leaves
- 1 cup coconut milk (1st extract)
- 2 ½ tsp oil
Method of Preparation of Kumbalanga Olan :
- Wash cowpeas and soak overnight in water.
- Drain, rinse, and place in a pressure cooker with ¾ cup water. Cook under pressure for 10-15 minutes.
- Peel ashgourd, green chillies, salt and 1 stalk curry leaves in a pan with ¾ cup water and cook over high heat for 30 minutes till tender.
- Mash ashgourd lightly, mix in cowpeas and coconut milk, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in oil and 1 stalk curry leaves, mix well and serve.
Variation: While cowpeas remain a constant, cucumber or unripe papaya can be substituted for ashgourd. However in a feast ashgourd is considered essential.
Let us know what you think! Please leave your comments and let us know your thoughtscomments powered by Disqus
- How to laminate Photos at home
- diy bare bulb beauty dish
- how to make a hood for your lens
- rule of thirds in photography
- Adding tattoo to a photograph in photoshop
- How to capture motion blur in photography
- DIY Foldable Softbox
- Portrait Photography Tips - Pose them right
- Landscape Photography tips and techniques
- Seven secrets for stunning macro shots
Exif's, Lighting diagrams, and more.
Write for School of Digital Photography
If you would like to share your ideas and opinions to our viewers, do write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line stating Photography Article. We are looking for tips on every aspects of photography aimed for the beginner, intermediate and advanced digital photographers